Green Wall Technology
- As the importance of offsetting a home or business’ carbon footprint becomes paramount, green wall technology is also advancing in leaps and bounds. However, not all green wall units are created equal. Below are a few important things to look for in green wall technology.
- Firstly, although it’s possible to create your own green wall on the cheap with materials found in your local hardware shop, the truth is that this is not always the best long-term route. Green walls created from modular units, design specifically for green wall construction, offer a range of benefits that can’t be found in other materials.
- Modular units are designed so that they will fit any space, from an old cinder block garden wall to the side of an office block. The brackets are fitted to the wall first, then the modular units snap into place. It’s so easy many people choose to DIY it (but you might want to consider a professional for the side of your office tower!).
- Modular units, such as those designed by City Forest, are also designed to retain moisture, which, unlike using other high drainage materials, keeps your plants happier and healthier for a lot longer.
- Modular units also include an irrigation system, which not only makes for low maintenance, but also, along with their water retaining quality, makes them water wise.
- One of the most important things to look for in green wall technology, though, is whether or not it protects the wall it’s mounted onto. Some green wall materials require you to waterproof the original wall before installation. This can make your seemingly cheap DIY project a lot more expensive, and could mean that your wall is damaged nonetheless a few years down the track. Purpose-designed green wall units should not require this kind of waterproofing, and should not damage any walls at all.
- Last but not least, green wall technology should be suited to its purpose. If you live in a rented apartment, you a free-standing green wall on wheels might be a better option for you than a wall mounted unit. Being able to choose between wall mounted or freestanding units means just about anyone can enjoy a green wall.