How to build a Green Wall
- There are many ways to build a green wall, but there are some basic principles that apply every time. Below are some of the most important points to take note of in order to ensure your green wall is happy and healthy for years to come.
- Before you even start thinking of building materials or buying plants for your green wall, it’s important to understand the area you will build it in. For example, will it be inside or outside? Does it get a lot of sun? Is it surrounded by a lot of concrete, which adds heat? Is it in a shady or damp location? All of these factors are important when planning your wall because they will determine which types of plants are best suited.
- The next step is choosing the materials used to build your wall. Although you can DIY a green wall yourself with a range of materials found in your hardware shop, by the far the best solution is to use modular units that a re purpose designed for the wall, such as those made by City Forest. These units don’t require the original wall to be waterproofed, and they also include a watering system that is as easy to install as the units themselves. Additionally, they are designed to keep the moisture in, which will make your wall more water efficient.
- The modular units can either be fixed to the existing wall or you can create a freestanding wall on wheels. The fixed wall option is easily installed. Simply attach the brackets onto the wall using the dynabolts supplied, then, after filling each modular unit with the soil or filler best suited to the plants you’ve chosen, they simply attach to the brackets.
- Green walls make for a fun and satisfying DIY project that will transform your home, office or garden.